Friday, May 14, 2004

Are YOU stoked?


My 21-year-old son Daniel is an avid surfer. Sometimes I look at my Chicago city boy husband and my farmer girl self and wonder how we produced this cool California dude. I can only assume that all that Beach Boy music that I heard as I hit puberty caused some sort of genetic mutation.

Anyway, last night Ken and I watched STEP INTO LIQUID, the latest DVD to pop off our Netflix queue. The movie begins "No special effects. No stuntmen. No stereotypes." It was written and directed by Dana Brown who is the son of Bruce, maker of the surfer documentaries ENDLESS SUMMER (1966) and ENDLESS SUMMER II (1994). In ways, it shares a lot with those classics, lots of spectacular surfing shots, trips to obscure places around the world, funny self-deprecating surfer philosophy. But this movie also gives us views of some non-champion, non-world-class surfing that is sometimes touching and lots of fun. Check it out!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home