Sunday, May 23, 2004

Bill Charlap, Harry Allen at SF Jazz Festival




When I was in New York last summer, the New York Times gave a rave review for Bill Charlap's show at the Jazz Standard so I went to see this superb jazz pianist that night. This San Francisco appearance was a welcome opportunity to see him again with his great sidemen Kenny Washington and Peter Washington.

The concert was part of a tribute to Stan Getz and opened with Trio Da Paz to focus on Getz's bossa nova music.

The tune THE PEACOCKS with Stan Getz on sax and Bill Evans on piano has long been one of my favorite recordings. Hearing Harry Allen play it with Charlap's trio last night was almost unbearably beautiful. I had to wipe my eyes before I could join in the roar of applause.

http://www.sfjazz.org/concerts/spring04/artists/bcharlap.html

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home