Tuesday, May 18, 2004

Graphic novels

No, no, not that kind of "graphic" novel! The ones I like are comics that are (sort of) novel length. This has been a factor in quite a few movies lately such as GHOST WORLD and AMERICAN SPLENDOR. But I like to read the books and look at the drawings. I really have enjoyed GHOST WORLD and DAVID BORING by Daniel Clowes, also SLEEPWALK and OPTIC NERVE by Adrian Tomine. Harvey Pekar's HERO: THE STORY OF ROBERT MCNEILL is the only AMERICAN SPLENDOR novel that I have read, but I want to look for THE CANCER YEAR and several others. To save money, I borrow what I can from the library. The Dewey number seems to be 741.5.

A recent read is DREAMTOONS by Jesse Reklaw. People send descriptions of their dreams to Reklaw and he draws four panel comic strips about them. He has a web page with many examples:
http://www.slowwave.com

1 Comments:

Blogger Bill said...

Hi Mary,

Dreamtoons looks interesting. I'll be checking out his website this evening.

Glad to see that your iMac problems haven't slowed down your blogging. (People will use a downed computer as an excuse for just about anything!!)

I just finished converting my blogs to use the new style comments (and post pages) that blogger now supports. The conversion was a real hassle -- but now that I finished the converting them, I can see that they're easy and fun to use. So I hope people start leaving comments for me on my blog, too.

Mike

8:11 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home