Saturday, May 22, 2004

MOAH takes me back




I was running some errands in Palo Alto yesterday, so I stopped by to see the MUSEUM OF AMERICAN HERITAGE. It is located in a big old house and has various exhibits of a store, a kitchen, cameras, and so on. The special exhibit (which ends very soon) was of radios. At my age, the era covered by this museum is more nostalgic than historic.

These radios really reminded me of the ones that were in the apartment of an aunt and uncle who lived in Oil City, PA. They had a big console radio in their living room. Now that I think about it, the smaller radio in their den probably had a Bakelite case. (They also still had a refrigerator with a basket on top.)

Uncle Bill knew morse code and recalled how he could tell what was happening in the baseball games before it was announced on the air. In those days, the announcer got the game over the wire and fleshed out the details as he spoke. I guess Bill heard the dots and dashes in the background.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home