Wednesday, May 12, 2004

Starting a new blog!

This marks the beginning of my blog. I am a mother of 3 grown kids, a wife, and a software manager who is currently unemployed. I want to blog to talk about books and movies and music and the human comedy of my life.

Today I went on an interview in San Francisco. Great company, great people that I want to hang out with! I miss the social aspects of work, in addition to the $$$$$. It went quite well, it will all depend on what my competition is.

A good book that I have read in the past month is TRUE NOTEBOOKS by Mark Salzman. I have read all his books, but this might be his best. Non-fiction, it describes his work as a writing teacher in a juvenile detention center in LA. His class is drawn from a unit whose crimes are so severe that they are being tried as adults. Whoa! Very sympathetic characters, but most have committed murder. Food for thought about why these kids do what they do. Mark Salzman's earlier work includes IRON AND SILK about his time in China teaching English and studying martial arts. IRON AND SILK was also made into a movie in case reading a book is a foreign notion to you.

1 Comments:

Blogger Bill said...

Congratulations Mary!

I look forward to reading your blog regularly.

Your good friend Mike -

mike at bloggermike.com

10:23 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home