Monday, June 07, 2004

The Great Job Hunt of 2002-2003-2004

Maybe my blog brought me good luck. The interview that I mentioned in my first post led to a job.

I was notified that I was laid off from HP in September of 2002, my official termination date was in November 2002. I learned a lot from outplacement services and and PenNet, a volunteer agency run by the state of California. For a whole year I worked really hard at finding work, but in all that time I only had three interviews and no offers.

After some time off from my search, I started looking again in February 2004. To keep myself motivated, I set up an incentive system -- if I managed to apply for 10 jobs in a week, I allowed myself to spend $5 on iTunes. Maybe that sounds silly, but it worked. Although I certainly would not say that the market has opened up, I did get more interviews and phone screens this year.

Things went well today at my first day on the job at RSA Security, who considerately moved to San Mateo before I started work. I have lots to learn and lots to do, but my first impression is that the long job hunt has come to a good conclusion.

Looking back, I am grateful for the time off that I could spend with friends and doing fun things. I got really good at looking for work, a skill that had never been necessary in a flush economy. I had the luxury of a husband who was earning money and had employee health benefits -- I won't take either for granted ever again. I can't forget that it's still really tough for many of my friends and former co-workers who haven't found a job.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home