Monday, September 13, 2004

Trip to the Owens Valley



Over Labor Day, Ken and I drove up to Bishop, a California town on my favorite highway US395. The Owens valley runs east of the Sierra escarpment, so there are spectacular views of the mountains. Not only that, the people in Bishop sure know how to eat. Good restaurants were Whiskey Creek, Schat's Bakery, Los Amigos and others.

Since I had visited last year, a new visitor center had opened at Manzanar, the Japanese American internment camp used during World War II. I realized when I got home that I had taken no pictures there -- that goes to show how caught up I was in the exhibits. Very well done. I am also pleased to say that the JACL (Japanese American Civic League) has come out against the prisoners being held in Guantanamo without charges -- they know first hand how racist hysteria and lack of due process can combine to make America forget what it stands for.

Last year when I was in this area, I kept thinking how much Ken would like it. He did.

Click here to see more photos.

Click here to see last year's road trip.

1 Comments:

Blogger Tom Garcia said...

I did see some Manzanar photos. Do you want another one or two?

6:35 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home